Enhance your Property’s Aesthetic by Modern Houston Landscaping
Today, landscaping in Houston is very much different from the ancient landscape Europeans found when they arrived in Texas hundreds of years ago. During that time, areas in Buffalo Bayour was a dark and moist swamp with magnolia trees and cypress. In other areas, forests are so thick and filled with insects such as mosquitoes that Karankaway Indians would not go in.
At present, Houston has focused industrialization and landscaping developments. However it did not lose its lush forest and waterways and it is still the home of a variety of wide pine and oak trees that outline the coastal area and roadways which connect the top edge of the city and the urban area.
The climate in Houston is humid and hot during summer, and still humid and temperate during winter days. This makes the place a very suitable to plant different types of indigenous and exotic plants. It also provides a wide range of options of types and styles of garden to homeowners.
Due to gentle winter, there are just a few cases that plants, trees and shrubs died because of extreme low temperature. Houston landscape is famous in the South for having different flowers all year round. In fact there are several species such as cyclamen and pansies that blooms during winter.
However, the downside of the Houston landscape is the heavy downpour which this area receives anytime of the year. During summer and hot days, rain fall will start a mold and fungus outbreak in just one day. This is a great threat to the human health and for the welfare of the plants.
In order to minimize the impact of this outbreak on gardens, irrigation management and chemical treatment are implemented to fight mold and fungal. It would be better if you ask the help of a botanist who knows the right treatment for each plant and has an understanding of the impact of irrigation on your garden.
But still it did not stop some landscape designers and homeowners to improve the backyard. Landscape design can be done by a homeowner or professional. A full understanding of the use of hardscapes and geometry is what is needed for a beautiful and functional landscape.
This is to ensure the placement of your plant in patios and pools and to improve water fountain and outdoor buildings. Also knowledge about plants is essential to utilize the beauty of your landscape project. What is important is someone who fully understands what landscape design is all about and knows a great deal about improving value and experience of outdoor living in Houston.
Green should be the outstanding color for many landscaping designs. Plants should be placed or arranged in layers and in different shades. Hedges, ground cover plants, special grasses and even small tress are used in order to achieve the greenery that will make your garden stand out among others.
Aside for your plant, garden and flower beds that make significant impact on the overall appearance of your garden, hardscapes should be considered. This is to complete the garden experience for your family and your friends.
Hardscapes bring out the beauty of your garden design.
Hardscapes are inorganic element in your landscape design but plays a very crucial role in order to complete your landscape project. With the combination of these man-made structures and your lush and growing plants then definitely you create an outdoor space that has that warm and inviting ambiance which your family and friends would love to experience.
Different Types of Hardscapes
- Outdoor fireplace – It is used for both aesthetic and function purposes and provides warmth during winter and fall. The design range from simple to grand and whichever you choose, it has a significant impact to the ambiance of your yard.
- Garden pathways – People love these unique hardscapes and are a great way to explore the garden. They can be dressed according to the materials used.
- Pool decking – This hardscape connect two essential areas – the house and the swimming pool. You can choose from brick, wood and flagstone which are popular choices. You have to use non-slippery surfaces since you are in a wet area to avoid accidents in the pool.
- Wooden deck and arbor – Most people attach this hardscape to the house but they can also be freestanding. Other wooden hardscape structures include loggias, pergolas, arbors and gazebos. It is beautiful way to enhance the aesthetic of the house and to see what is happening on the other side of the fence.
- Seat walls – These hardscape serves a double purpose. They can be used to define a space and serves as seats during large gathering.
- Retaining walls – They are usually short in length and are used to hold the soil in place. Most landscape designers put them on your garden in such a way that they enhance the beauty of your landscape design.
- Driveways and motor courts – Typically wide open area of concrete for vehicles or motors which are constructed to complement your house and the garden design.
- Stone – Sandstone, slate, limestone and quartzite are typically the types of stone used for hardscape construction. They are usually into squares, rectangular or irregular shapes. They are usually used in concrete piece and to bond together joints.
Different materials you can use for hardscape construction:
- Pavers – This is a man-made brick to make intricate patterns. They can be laid on sand or on a solid base and are also eco-friendly.
- Concrete – They are inexpensive and durable and you can make it into different shapes which make them a popular choice for hardscapes. It can be colored or textured, according to what you want to achieve in your landscape design.
- Cast stone – A masonry product the looks like any natural stone such as granite, travertine, granite or marble. It is made from Portland cement, chemical admixtures, water, mineral oxide color pigments and aggregates. It can be formed into shapes used as columns, door surrounds, and planters, also they come in different colors.
- Drainage system – This is an essential landscape project since Houston is infamous for abundant downpours. It would really be headache to deal with swaps or small lakes in your garden which will really affects its beauty.
Other Hardscapes Projects
It will also preserve your hard structures from cracks or damage. Landscape designers usually create driveway drains and patio that pretty much blend in with the garden makes them almost discrete.
- Lighting and water – Outdoor fountain or luxury swimming pool will breathe life to your hardscapes. Although you will have a lot of maintenance to do and requires electricity, it is all worth it.
Lighting will keep your garden as beautiful even at night and water will create some visual delights to the visitors. Light and water are two elements that will definitely make your guests WOW.
Before you put and do anything else to your garden, it is very essential to ponder about the specific landscape design you want for your garden. Mediterranean and Italian styles are just two of the most famous styles of landscape that will definitely complement any home style. So homeowners can select varying garden designs such as French gardens, English garden, Japanese water garden and parterre gardens.
Others prefer to separate a garden to the overall landscape in order to create a separate realm where they can read, meditate and have a quiet time for their families. Zen garden and water gardens are popular choices in Houston since residents want to have their own special place in the yard.
In selecting the design, it is essential to base it upon relationship. It is the relationship of the landscape elements in which size and significance must coordinate with the theme of the landscape. Home is the most essential element which occupies the center position of the whole property and functions as the symbol of the lifestyle and personality of the residents.
Trees should also be considered because they are the pillars of the whole garden. Also the plants should be in proper balance with the trees for horizontal and vertical view of the landscape, and also to improve the overall aesthetic of the property.
Vegetation gives focus to hardscapes which make up almost two-thirds of the yard. As mentioned, they magnify the beauty of the landscape design by simply being on the right place.
As water features like natural ponds, custom fountain, swimming pools and ornamental waterfalls were developed, it is essential that the landscape design should complement them. It is natural that plants and water are hand in hand in almost any environment. Cultivating this natural relationship among the elements of your landscape will definitely impress your guests with your Houston landscaping design.
Designing your garden is easy and practical these days, all thanks to modern techniques and tools that can be utilized to achieve the landscape design that will not only enhance the architecture of the house but also improve your Houston outdoor living.